We care for our beloved pets as much as we care for ourselves. We consider them our family and best friends. Pets such as dogs and cats need medical attention as we do, to stay healthy and when they are sick. CBD oil is now available for dogs to keep them healthy or to help them alleviate ailments from hypertension, chronic pain to depression and anxiety.
There are a few things you need to know about CBD oil for dogs:
- CBD or Cannabidiol is a substance found in hemp that is isolated from the THC or tetrahydrocannabinol - a psychoactive compound that gives intoxicating effect. This means CBD works without the usual high effect. Your pet will be relaxed and calm without the intoxication.
- Dogs can suffer from anxiety or stress much like people. They are stressed when separated from their owners or left alone in the house for long periods. They also get anxious from loud noises such as passing cars, motorbikes or from firecrackers and booming fireworks. Dogs abused by past owners can suffer from PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. CBD oil helps dogs suffering from these anxieties by keeping their moods calm and steady.
- Almost 5% of dogs suffer from seizures and epilepsy. And there are certain kinds of epileptic disorders and seizures resistant to drugs. CBD oil has been proven beneficial to people suffering from these disorders. And dogs are also reaping the same benefit from the use of the hemp extracted oil. There are reports that dogs using the oil have experienced fewer episodes of seizures.
- CBD oil can also alleviate colitis or IBD in dogs. Dogs with IBD disorder have trouble digesting food and experience pain and discomfort. The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD work by triggering the receptors in the immune system to suppress inflammation. Once inflammation subsides normal movement along the digestive tract is restored.
- Inflammation is caused by allergies, hypersensitivities to different substances and food and autoimmune disorders. CBD oil works by increasing the presence of cannabinoid receptors in the immune system suppress inflammation, relieving dogs from allergies and other hypersensitivity and autoimmune diseases.
- CBD contains antioxidants and terpenes. Antioxidants help prevent the formation of free radicals that cause diseases such as cancer. By giving your dog CBD on a regular basis, you are preventing free radical formations. Terpenes help in reducing inflammation further.
- Older dogs can benefit from the use of CBD oil as it protects the brain and nervous system from degenerative disorders. It protects the spine and nerve tissues from degenerative myelopathy. It has also shown promise in helping regenerate brain cells.
CBD oil promotes homeostasis in both humans and other mammals such as our canine friends. By giving your pet the right dosage on a daily basis, you are keeping your best friend healthy and happy. Remember to ask a holistic vet on the proper dosage for dogs to prevent lightheadedness, a sudden drop of blood pressure and other minor effects of CBD.